Getting IRS 501(c)3 status for a food hub

• Getting IRS 501(c)3 status for a food hub

Posted by OKC Food Hub on February 15, 2024 at 12:23 PM

We applied with the IRS back in May 2023 for our exempt status. We recently got a request from them for more detailed information about our hub activities and how it supports exempt status. Are there any 501(c3) non-profit food hubs out there that have experience answering the following questions? Any guidance would be very welcomed as I’m not sure how best to answer.

1. Please explain how providing a website where farmers can list products for sale and where buyers can purchase items is not a commercial activity that a for-profit business would conduct.

2. You indicate in your application for exemption that one of your organization’s activities includes networking. Please provide the following:

Does this activity serve to promote the private interests of individual members by increasing their sales or does it promote the common business interests of the organization’s members. Please explain.

Is the opportunity to network an incidental benefit resulting for your organization’s overall educational activities? Please explain.

OKC Food Hub replied 2 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Rita Higgins

February 15, 2024 at 12:30 PM

Hiya – I don’t know exactly how to answer that but know of two 501c3 food hubs that do exactly that, near us, so I am surprised to see it is an issue. If you would like an intro to either Farm Fresh Rhode Island or Coastal Foodshed, to see if they might be able to help, I would be happy to make that connection.

• OKC Food Hub

February 15, 2024 at 1:02 PM

Hey Rita – Yes, please if you could connect me with Farm Fresh RI with an email-intro that would be amazing! I’m just very nervous about this process and well it’s the IRS…scary. LOL.

Many thank,

Thanh